Wednesday, September 22, 2021

The Beautiful Music of Sheku Kanneh-Mason

For this week's Musical Tuesday selection, we listened to Sheku Kanneh-Mason's gorgeous rendition of Hallelujah. Using their knowledge and skills from Strings class, the students did an amazing job of pointing out what I should watch and listen for. 

I was particularly appreciative to JaxsonZion and Amity for their insights. They talked about:

** Mr. Kanneh-Mason's elegant and agile fingerwork (one student in Jaxson's class insisted that he must have put butter on his hands to move them so smoothly, but Jaxson and others explained that his excellent technique resulted from lots of practice, rather than butter)

** The fluid and graceful way that he holds and moves his bow

** His use of vibrato to create a strong, expressive sound

As we wrapped up the activity, I was moved by these two comments:

Ella Grace: It is so neat to be able to feel the connection between him and his instrument.

Luke: Can we listen to it one more time?