Thursday, March 17, 2022

A Beautiful Story; More Original Music; Samm Henshaw Goes to Church

Seton wrote a beautiful story about a Chinese American student who explores her identity (including her religious beliefs) while navigating the social challenges of middle school. Seton created a narrator who feels authentic, and she draws you into the story with vivid details and realistic dialogue. Here's an excerpt:

Past to the Future
By Seton

Look within, and you will find everything you wish for, a wise man once said. 

But that was a really long, long, time ago. And that man was Lao Tzu. I don't know how, but I am somehow related to him.

Hello, my name is Wendy, like Wenzi. I lived in China. And I moved to the USA. 

And I am Taoist. My parents want me to devote my life to my religion, because I am related to the person who started Taoism. 

But I think I am more than my religion. My parents have both devoted their lives to Taoism. I love my religion, and it makes me different from other people. But when people look at me that is all they see. And that is what my parents want. But I think what I want also matters.

Tomorrow is my first day of 6th grade at a new school. I am worried people won't accept me for who I am. The only thing I want is a normal 6th grade year, without any bullies and any…

Oh my gosh? What religion do you follow?

Umm. Where are you from?

No you can't sit here!

So I have decided I am tired of people rejecting me, because of my religion or my clothes. I am going to let people ask me to be their friend. Not the other way around.

I get on the bus to go to school. All of the seats are taken except for the seats in the back. I walk all the way to the back of the bus and sitting there was a girl wearing a Daopao, which a Taoist hat!

Can I sit next to you?

The words fell out of my mouth. I was so tired of being ignored and rejected.

Of course! 

She had the sweetest voice.

Really?

Yes! Please sit!

[Please talk to Seton if you'd like to read the rest of her story!]
--------------------------------------------

Here are some additional musical treats, courtesy of Liam G. and Michael:



Finally, a big thank you to Hero for her musical recommendation: Church, by Samm Henshaw. The students thoroughly enjoyed the catchy melody.