Thursday, May 19, 2022

Michelangelo: The Sistine Chapel

 

The Creation of Adam, by Michelangelo

If you believe that there is or might be a God (or gods), does Michelangelo's representation of God on the Sistine Chapel ceiling resemble the picture of God in your head? Why or why not?

Brynne, Jake and Liam G.: I think yes. I have always imagined God to be an older man, with a long white beard. If he has been around for millions of years, he has to be a little bit old!

Michael: I picture God as younger, more agile and graceful -- and less stern.

Sarah: Yes, because all the artwork I have seen of God shows him as a white man with a beard and fancy clothes. But, sometimes I imagine God as a big burst of light.

Claire: When I think of God, I picture more of a force or power, rather than someone that looks similar to us.

Parthie: The God in my head looks exactly like that because the beard is just iconic. But, sometimes I think God is a woman.

Chase G.: I thought that God is completely blue, like the oceans.

Violet: No -- I don't think God would look like a human. I don't think God would be a physical being at all, or God is not possible to see with the human eye. They might be a light, or just a thought.

Morgan: The true representation of God is impossible to recreate, because it's different for many people. For some people, God might look like Michelangelo's version, but for other people God could be completely different.

Joseph R.: I don't really imagine God as a human. I don't think God has any form. God just is.

Ethan: If God were real, they would be a shapeless amalgamation of different aspects of nature.