Sibling Rivalry
Retold From The Perspective Of Jacob
By Sissie
A couple months later, I decided that I would watch Esau and father go hunting. I wanted to see why father likes him more. We hiked up the mountain near our village. The mountain was as calm as a cloud. The trees were swaying in the wind like they were about to fall asleep. Everything was so green. Finally, Esau saw a bird. The peacefulness of the mountain shattered as he got his bow and arrow out and shot the bird straight at its head.
“That was a perfect shot!” Father cheered.
We saw a deer appear from behind a tree. Esau snuck up on him and shot him, again, with a perfect shot. I was already prepared for father's giant speech on how good his shot was.
“Esau, did you see how impressive that shot was? You have to be one of the best hunters in the village, if not the best,” father complimented.
Later, we saw a couple more animals. Unsurprisingly, Esau shot most of the animals. Father even complimented him on the shots he missed. I was jealous of how good Esau was at hunting. I was jealous of how much father liked him. I wished my father liked me as much as he liked Esau.
I didn’t talk the entire time. I couldn’t talk.
Sibling Rivalry
Retold From The Perspective Of Esau
By Zion
I never thought my own brother would betray me but here I am, his nemesis as he is mine. It wasn’t always this way.
When we were born I saw the light and ran towards it. I’ve always been adventurous. But I was born with my twin trying to jerk me back, trying to be first ...
We did not have much in common. I liked the outdoors because it brimmed with interesting creatures, smells, and ingredients. I loved hunting because of the thrill with father at my side. Jacob loved tending to the animals because he loves the smells and wonders of them. The only wonder I saw in them was how much they dropped manure.
Jacob preferred mother, and mother preferred Jacob.
...
17 years after we were born, I came back to the main tent in bad condition. My clothes were torn, I had leaves and mud in my hair, I smelled of dead fish, and I had a nasty gash on my side.
“What happened to you?” Jacob said, shocked.
“Bad hunting trip,” I replied, exhausted and embarrassed. I then saw the stew he was cooking, the sweet aroma and it looked delicious. I NEED this stew.
“What happened to you?” Jacob said, shocked.
“Bad hunting trip,” I replied, exhausted and embarrassed. I then saw the stew he was cooking, the sweet aroma and it looked delicious. I NEED this stew.
“Hey, Jacob, can I have some stew?” I tried to say politely.
“Mmm… no,” he retorted.
“Please, I will do anything,” I pleaded.
“Please, I will do anything,” I pleaded.
“Anything?” he says, anticipative.
“Anything,” I confirmed.
“I will give you stew...for your birthright,” he exclaimed.
“No way,” I grumble, but my stomach rumbles. “I will cook it myself!” I boomed, exhausted.
“Only Mother and I know the recipe,” Jacob replies smugly, “and she won’t tell you.”
Today was hot, hotter than most days around here. I stood and stumbled over to our little window. I fell onto it still dazed from my deep rest. As I ran my fingers over the outline, I could feel all its flaws and cracks from age. It reminded me of an elephant's back, all rough and bruised. Almost falling back asleep I felt eyes on me. I turned around to see my little sister (Daniel) behind me.
“My goodness make a sound!” I cried.
“Shhhh” she hissed at me. “Papa is still at rest!” she hissed once more.
I moved past her into our kitchen not bothering to apologize. I felt her glaring knives at my back. I could feel the stickiness from the heat attaching itself to my body.
“Water now,” ordered my mother, who was already making food. I grabbed my water jug and headed out the door. “Dearest me!” cried my mother, “you can't go out looking like that, you never know who could be watching.”
“I will give you stew...for your birthright,” he exclaimed.
“No way,” I grumble, but my stomach rumbles. “I will cook it myself!” I boomed, exhausted.
“Only Mother and I know the recipe,” Jacob replies smugly, “and she won’t tell you.”
A Bride for Isaac
Retold From The Perspective Of Rebekah
By Ella Grace
Today was hot, hotter than most days around here. I stood and stumbled over to our little window. I fell onto it still dazed from my deep rest. As I ran my fingers over the outline, I could feel all its flaws and cracks from age. It reminded me of an elephant's back, all rough and bruised. Almost falling back asleep I felt eyes on me. I turned around to see my little sister (Daniel) behind me.
“My goodness make a sound!” I cried.
“Shhhh” she hissed at me. “Papa is still at rest!” she hissed once more.
I moved past her into our kitchen not bothering to apologize. I felt her glaring knives at my back. I could feel the stickiness from the heat attaching itself to my body.
“Water now,” ordered my mother, who was already making food. I grabbed my water jug and headed out the door. “Dearest me!” cried my mother, “you can't go out looking like that, you never know who could be watching.”
I didn't dare roll my eyes. Surely my mother was the only mother who made their daughter dress up to fetch water, but to my surprise when I finally made it to the town well I saw that every young girl was wearing the best attire. White blouse and cotton skirts that fell just below their knees. Word has it there is a young man who had arrived in town and all of the girls were wearing their best things to look presentable. And through the crowd I saw the man who was the victim of this rumor, with sandy blond hair and a smile reaching to his ears. I took this moment to study the man, blue eyes, tan, sweaty, but who's not.
I pressed my hand to my forehead and pushed my hair back. I grabbed my blouse and wiped it over my face. Then it occurred to me I was going to be scolded by my mother if I didn't at least try to look like I'd be a good wife. I walked over to the man crowded by women and offered him water, he said yes and I offered to water his camels.
He looked at me with sudden curiosity and said of course. I looked around to see his three camels a short walk away, as I slipped through the cracks between people I finally made it out of the crowd. I knelt down and tended to his camels. I looked down at the ground to see my shadow, but as I peered at it longer I saw it was getting bigger, I whipped around to see the man from earlier behind me.
"Don't worry about it."
I tried to rise to meet the man’s eyes but suddenly too late I realized one of the camels was stepping on my skirt. A sudden rip rang through the empty field.
"Oh great..." I muttered
"Oh, Im so sorry, I'll pay for a new one."
I once again attempted to stand. As I met his piercing blue eyes, he said we would go to the market and get me a new one.
David, The Giant Killer
Retold From The Perspective Of David
By Bear
ROAR.
“No,” I exclaim. I am not going to lose anymore sheep, not today, not ever, at least not again! I grab my sling and throw myself into action. Without thinking twice I load a rock into my sling and release it. It flies through the air and smacks the lion square between the eyes!
I silently take my knife and end his career of killing my livestock. As I scan and repair my destroyed fence, relief and guilt fill me -- just like before, when I killed the bear and coyotes.
A few days later I realize I am running low on supplies and need to head to town to restock. I grab my sling and a wagon from the tool shed and head out. It’s a long trek but I have done it many times before and know the route by heart.
When I arrive to my disbelief the town has been prepared for war! After asking around I figure out that we are battling the Philistines and both kings have agreed to one on one single hand combat. I already know who it is but to make sure I ask a guard, “Who is the challenger?”
“Ahhh, curious people, it is the great Goliath.” He scowls as he walks away. I don’t know what to say. Nobody is even going to try to battle him.
...
The Battle
Goliath charges me full speed, and I almost crack a smile as I rise up and raise my sling.
But then a sudden bang ends it all.
It smashes Goliath right on the nose, and with a thud he falls to the ground.
The arena loses all of its rumble. I proudly walk up to Goliath and holster my sling. Picking up Goliath's sword was probably the hardest thing I have done on this horrific day. But with a struggle I managed to get it in the air. I drop it straight into his chest.
“Yeah,” the entire world seems to explode with joy. The enemy has begun its retreat. Yes, I did it!