Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Diligently Drafting

It was a very productive day for the aspiring architects of the 6th grade. 

Ella Grace's space features a series of places for different kinds of worship and meditation. She explained to me that the specific objects at the end of each carpet have particular purposes. For example, one carpet focuses on asking for forgiveness, while another carpet is structured around giving thanks. This is such a fantastic idea for organizing the space!

Ella Grace also wrote about the materials for her structure: "I am making most of my building with marble with some accents of turquoise. Turquoise helps to heal the mind, body, and soul, which helps in meditation."

I love the turquoise accents -- they are a distinctive and unique detail! 


Meanwhile, Gabe is mastering a multitude of Sketch Up tools and techniques. Similar to Ella Grace, his structure incorporates indoor and outdoor spaces. Gabe writes:  
I made my sacred space on the beachfront by making water, then sand, and finally the grass where my building lies. I added palm trees around the building and the front walk has tropical fish pools on each side of it. 
Being on the beach helps my sacred space feel sacred because it is peaceful and very relaxing to hear the waves crashing on the beach and the peaceful wind whistling around you.


Finally, a shout out to Liam G. and Shep for the way that they collaborated with each other during today's class. I have been emphasizing that architects do a lot of sharing and supporting one another, and I have encouraged you to provide feedback, tips, and encouragement as you make your designs. 

I noticed the supportive way that Liam and Shep worked this afternoon. Also, Liam helpfully explained to me his process for building a dome (I've struggled with this for two years, and I think Liam's instructions finally broke through to me!). 

I'm excited to see how these two projects evolve -- they both look to be original and interesting!